paddockpass
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

paddockpass

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MC New Aus Review of the 2k7 YZF-R1

Go down 
AuthorMessage
planetearth
There Can Be Only One
planetearth

Number of posts : 3271
Registration date : 2007-02-03

MC New Aus Review of the 2k7 YZF-R1 Empty
PostSubject: MC New Aus Review of the 2k7 YZF-R1   MC New Aus Review of the 2k7 YZF-R1 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2007 1:49 am

http://www.mcnews.com.au/

Quote :
2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 Track Test
By Neale Bayly and Trevor Hedge

Throttle to the stop, heading up the hill toward the corkscrew at Laguna Seca Raceway, the dashboard light blinking triggers my right wrist to back off a hair and my left foot to rise. Slipping effortlessly into the next gear the transition between ratios is mechanical perfection as we hurtle toward the blind rise. Topping 200kph, front wheel climbing and bars dancing in my hands, there is nothing but a tarmac lip and blue sky on the radar. Looking about as large as a double garage door, it is time to take my finger off the fast forward button. Bringing the twelve brake pistons into the act, heartbeat rising to the red line, all I can think of is what in the world must it be like when the MotoGP riders come in here side by side at speeds that make it seem like I am out for a Sunday stroll.
Stripping off enough speed to slam the big Yamaha on its side for the downward descent, the rear wheel is wagging and I am fighting to divert my vision from what looks like the end of the world. Looking down through the corkscrew and as soon as we are bouncing off my left knee puck it is time to get rowdy on the bars and manhandle the R1 over onto the right hand side, hitting my knee puck with an even harder bang as my stomach feels the drop. Twisting the throttle back open the back end of the bike jackhammers for a few seconds over the rough pavement as the next leap of faith presents itself.

Down hill, and looking slicker than a drug rep’s expensive suit, Rainey corner is almost as intimidating as the corkscrew. I am obviously lacking the needed equipment to hold the throttle more than a hair off the stop until I am on my knee again, and seeing the exit in full Technicolour I give a huge sigh of relief. Riding the new 2007 R1 at Laguna Seca is a totally surreal experience from so many perspectives. By the time I climb off the R1 at the end of my session, sweating in the cool afternoon air, my head is spinning.

Fly by wire throttle, more horsepower, revised chassis, six-piston caliper brakes, and an even sleeker bodywork package, Yamaha has completely gone through their iconic litre bike and come out with a totally new machine. Not wanting to lose its distinctive look, the changes to the bodywork are subtle and result in a much sharper look. With the side fairings styled in the same manner as the R6, somehow the Yamaha designers have made the bike look even more modern without losing its identity.

Exiting turn 12 and launching onto the front straight is the only place on the fairly short Laguna circuit to properly get the throttle to the stops through three gears. This means that by the time the gearbox is sliding into fourth gear it is time to tip the bike over the blind rise that leads to turn two. Massive speed, serious lean angle and a wish to not question my mortality accompany me over the rise. I can’t do it without rolling off, and getting back on the gas I am lifted out of the seat for a moment by the blast of wind. Protected by the elevation coming up the straight, it only adds to the experience as my brain fights with the notion that I have left the braking too late. Squeezing firmly on the thick lever there is no delay as the pads bite down, and banging down two gears is worry free thanks to a new slipper clutch. The required speed is removed in plenty of time to flick into the double apex turn two. Marvelling at the level of calm as the bike glides through on a smooth arc, the perfect fuelling allows me to feed in just enough throttle to keep momentum before it is time to nail it for turn three.

Page 1

as you can see, the Yamaha works
MC New Aus Review of the 2k7 YZF-R1 Jamie_Smoking_C_700p
MC New Aus Review of the 2k7 YZF-R1 Jamie_Smoking_700p
Back to top Go down
https://sbkmoto.forumotion.com

MC New Aus Review of the 2k7 YZF-R1
Page 1 of 1